Skip to main content

Wind Chimes and Vases: Upcycle Your Glass Bottles

I learned a neat trick from Carla Emery's book The Encyclopedia of Country Living, 10th Edition (I highly recommend this book by the way, it is great!) regarding "up-cycling" glass bottles.  If you have beer or wine bottles, even soy sauce bottles, cocktail sauce bottles, steak sauce bottles, or glass olive oil bottles, save them and try this neat project.

Carla Emery says in her book:

Old-timers made narrow-necked wine bottles into preserve holders by tying strings soaked in kerosene around the shoulders.  Then they set the strings on fire.  That cracked the necks so they could be knocked off and the edges filed smooth.  The bottles were washed and sterilized, the hot jam poured in--and then the bottles were sealed with paraffin.  You let your jelly set up (jell) and cool clear down first, before you added the paraffin.

I thought this sounded neat, so I decided to try it.  What I did was:
  • Soaked the bottle in warm water to remove the labels.  For the most part, the labels slid off easily once soaked.  I had to use a razor to scrape the glue off a couple bottles though.
  • Wrap a piece of cotton butcher's string around my bottle on the spot where I wanted it to break at.  I wrapped it around at least twice on most bottles--but for thicker glass, I went three to four times--and tied it snugly.
  •  I then removed the string and soaked it in a flammable liquid--rather than using kerosene, however, I used nail polish remover (acetone).  I poured a little into a bowl and put my string in to soak.
  • Meanwhile, I filled the kitchen sink with cold water (you can also use the bathtub or a bucket).
  • Next, I removed the string from the bowl and squeezed it out a bit to prevent dripping.  I put it back on the bottle.  Then, I washed my hands to remove any flammable liquid.
  • Holding the bottle over the sink full of water, I lit the string on fire and began to slowly rotate the bottle around, allowing the fire to heat the bottle around the string evenly.
  • I let it burn for about a minute, and then dunked it quickly into the cold water in the sink.  CRACK!  The bottle cut in half.
I also found this video to be useful in this project:


Now, depending on what you are going to be using your cut glass bottle for, you will likely want to smooth the edges.  You can use coarse sandpaper, a stone or diamond file, or emery cloth.

I cut several bottles using this method, and then used the tops to make wind-chimes:







Using twine, beads, bells, and broken glass, I completed these wind-chimes in a day.  It was a fun and easy project, and they are really cute additions to your outdoor decor.  I used Loctite to glue the broken glass pieces onto the bottle tops, and I happened to have a box full of little bells leftover from my wedding, so I tied one on the bottom of each wind-chime.

With the bottle bottoms, I decided to make vases:






With the help of my seven-year-old son, I glued beads around the rims for some extra protection from the edge.  I also used glass etching cream to make designs on the vases, and glitter to add a little something extra.

Other uses for cut glass bottles:

Comments

  1. May I just say what a relief to find an individual who genuinely knows what they are discussing online.

    You definitely understand how to bring a problem to light and
    make it important. More people ought to look at this and understand this side of the story.
    I can't believe you're not more popular because you definitely possess the gift.


    My webpage; discount rat hot rods

    ReplyDelete
  2. The DIY Wine Bottle Vases are so cool. Featured you on Homemade Wine Bottle Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are number of people form us who are addictive or we can say that this is type of hobbies in them that they have collecting and storing the glass bottles in their home. And some of them order the colored glass bottles like Red Glass Bottles for making their bottles collection awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a simple but nice wine bottle vases! I'll also try using the glass bottles !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I will just take a quick peek at your comment before it posts to avoid getting bombarded by spam. Please don't take it personally, I'm sure you're a lovely person.

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Drain Cleaner

To avoid clogging and bad odors, sink and tub drains should be periodically cleaned. A once a month cleaning with a non-toxic, homemade cleaner prevents needing a stronger, usually sodium hydroxide (lye) based, cleaner to remove clogs.  Sodium hydroxide is extremely caustic, and will damage the lungs if inhaled, burn skin and eyes, and can be fatal if swallowed.  In addition, the heat generated by using sodium hydroxide can soften PVC pipes, and damage old, corroded pipes.  It also changes the pH of water and can cause fish kills. A much nicer alternative to this harsh chemical is the simple combination of baking soda and vinegar, followed with boiling water.  When baking soda and vinegar are combined, they foam and expand, cleaning the sides of your pipes and dissolving fatty acids.  The boiling water then washes it all away.  This method is a great way to use up the box of baking soda in your frig that is not longer doing a good job of deodorizing. Ingredients: 1 Cup baki

Soapmakers: Why You Shouldn't Use Vinegar if You Come into Contact with Lye

It was one of the first things I learned when I began making my own soap; I read it in books and on the internet: "Always keep a jug of vinegar on hand when you are working with lye.  Vinegar neutralizes lye." Soapers, have you heard this?  Do you practice the habit of keeping vinegar nearby when you make your soaps?  So did I, until recently, when I read an interesting post on a soap forum, and then decided to research the claim myself.

Why Did My Chicken Lay That Strange Egg? {Decoding 10 Chicken Laying Issues}

What do you got? A huge egg with two yolks in it?  A wrinkly misshapen egg?  An egg with a soft shell?  Or perhaps the all-inclusive just plain weird looking egg? Whatever it is, I hope to help clear up some of the mystery behind: Why Did My Chicken Lay That Strange Egg?